March 24 & 25, 2015
November 12 & 13, 2015
Type of Continuing Education credit you are applying for. (Choose only one)
A. Physician - AMA PRA CAtegory 1 CME Credit
B. Certified Counselor
E. Certified Addiction and Drug Counselor (CADC)
F. Social Work
G. Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist
H. Certificate of Attendance only (no credit; only if other categories don't apply)
To assist us in evaluating your basic knowledge of this material and the effectiveness of this activity, please take a few moments to complete this pre-test.
1. Which type of psychosocial treatment is NOT proven effective for tobacco dependence?
A. Cognitive behavioral therapy
B. Skills Training
C. Relapse Prevention
E. Telephone quit lines
2. Select the TRUE statement about nicotine dependence.
A. Caffeine's interaction with nicotine reduces morning nicotine withdraw
B. Smokers that report smoking their first cigarette 30 minutes after awakening are moderately nicotine dependent and may need tobacco treatment medications to succeed in quitting.
C. Smokers who use less than 10 cigarettes per day are not nicotine dependent.
D. Assessment of how many years the individual has smoked and the year they started are the best questions to assess level of nicotine dependence
3. Which of the following is NOT an effective tobacco dependence treatment?
C. Nicotine inhaler
4. Induction of the cytochrome (P450) system by tobacco may result in which ONE of the following effects:
A. Increase in serum level of clozapine during periods of smoking.
B. Reduced levels of haloperidol during use of nicotine gum.
C. Increase in serum level of clomipramine during early tobacco abstinence.
D. No effect on olanzepine drug levels.
5. How long does it take after ceasing tobacco use before tobacco/nicotine withdraw symptoms typically return to normal?
A. 24 hours
B. 2 days
C. 7 days
D. 4 weeks
E. 6 months
6. Which of the following is TRUE of nicotine replacement therapies (NRT)?
A. Most people who use NRT become long users of it.
B. NRT is a carcinogen.
C. Most people use NRT incorrectly or at too low a dose.
D. Few people discontinue nicotine nasal spray due to side effects.
E. Nicotine water has good oral and GI absorption.
7. What percentage of cigarettes in the US are estimated to be purchased by people with a current mental illness or addiction?
D. More than 80%
8. Which statement is FALSE about the nicotine inhaler?
A. It can be used by people with dental problems or temporomadibular joint syndrome (TNJ).
B. Absorption is lessened by coffee or other acidic beverages.
C. Produces serum nicotine levels, which are higher than that of a smoked cigarette.
D. Can be safely combined with other forms of NRT like nicotine patch.
E. Nicotine from the inhaler does not reach the lung capillaries.
9. Which of the following statements is TRUE regarding tobacco dependence treatment?
A. Bupropion SR is more effective in smokers with a past or family history of major depression.
B. NRT should be reserved for only for smokers who use more than 10 cigarettes per day.
C. Smokers with a history of substance abuse cannot be treated with bupropion SR due to the risk of seizures.
D. Varenicline works primarily as a nicotinic partial agonist.
E. Varenicline causes neuropsychiatric side effects in half of the smokers who use it.
10. In Motivational Interviewing (MI), "sustain talk" refers to:
A. Talk consistent with sustaining a healthy lifestyle.
B. Talk consistent with sustaining the status quo.
C. Talk consistent with making a behavior change.
D. Talk consistent with identifying one's maladaptive automatic thoughts.
11. An MI-consistent strategy for sharing information with your clients is:
A. Elicit - Provide - Elicit
B. Reflective listening
C. Using "ability" language
D. Closed-ended questions
12. Select the TRUE statement about tobacco use and treatment.
A. Smoking helps reduce anxiety and agitation in people with mental illness
B. Smokers with a history of alcohol dependence are unable to quit smoking with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
C. Living with a smoker makes it less likely you will succeed in quitting smoking
D. Nicotine nasal spray is the most effective NRT.
E. Smokers have a permanently high carbon monoxide levels from years of smoking.
If everything in the form was correctly filled in,
please click on the register button to finalize your registration.
A $0 registration fee is required to
complete the registration for the 2 Day CE/CME Activity.
© 2013, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.